Friday, August 27, 2010


Vintage Mechanical



When they say they don't build em' like they used they have a point. So when I was fortunate enough to come across this New Home sewing machine at the Salvation Army of course I bought it. After making sure all the bits and pieces were there, of course. Now owning a few different vintage sewing machines I decided to do a little research.


Sewing machines have been around actually since the 18th century but it wasn't until the 1840's or so before a smaller home version was created (actually over the years there were home sewing machines made only on occasion the local tailors would destroy the machine to preserve their livlihood. Seriously, an angry mob of tailors...)
When the machines first came out they were so expensive that in order to buy one an entire community would have to pool their money.



Steampunk sewing machine. The one I picked up was a model 532 made in 1951 or so and I am currently haggling with the thread tension before I can begin sewing. Even so this machine works better than the one I recieved for my birthday a few years ago in which I spend more time yanking out jumbled stiches and fiddling constantly with the tension than I do actually sewing. Also the vintage one is made completely out of metal (and also weighs around fifty pounds) while the modern one is almost all plastic. Though if you are looking to make a buck off buying and selling vintage sewing machines don't bother, they aren't worth big bucks as they made them by the thousands during the economic boom in the 50's. In fact I see them quite regularly at thrift stores.



However they are beautiful bits of craftsmanship that, to me, work better than their modern counterparts and even after fifty or so years it still runs smoothly and all the bits and pieces are still in good shape. No, they really don't make them like they used to.

No comments: