Friday, December 05, 2008












Handmade ornaments, like these, were a popular thing to do in the 40's and 50's. Tho' I can't say for sure what decade these came from. I'm ASSUMING they are from the 50's or 60's. Its hard to imagine how much time it took to take a pin, stick a couple of beads and sequin on it and cover a pretty good sized form.










This one, I forget where I found it, or bought it but pretty obviously its made from a tin-can, wire and glass beads (these pictures of the front and back). I would assume from such humble but pretty materials that this was made during the Great Depression or some other time when money was tight and people had to be creative in their crafting adventures.
And the one with the rooster on it is something my elderly neighbor tossed in the garbage and I decided, what-the-heck, I'll take it. Its made from a tin can also. I wonder how whoever made it curled each individual strip of metal? With a pencil tip? Hmm, anyhow, hand-made objects are really fascinating but sadly its not very often I come across them and now the prices for vintage and antique hand-made Christmas ornaments has gone up quite a bit.


No comments: