Sunday, September 14, 2008






Turn of the century art (1900) is my period. Victorian Age art, and especially children's illustration is one of my favorite things in the world. They were masterful artists back then; each illustration for the classics of Grimm Fairy Tales and Anderson each had lavish ink illustrations that are now considered masterpieces.

This is where I'm drawing inspiration for this fall's senior level class. The assignment is to illustrate a fable or fairy tale. These are my inspirations







In my opinion Arthur Rackham is the king of illustration (the ink illustration of the young girl sitting beside the water is his) and to me i completely wish i had that kind of talent. Seriously its like a punch in the gut every time i see his work (and i could go on for a very long time about him) so for this project i made a couple of tentative sketches:











Will be doing more this week as I have a meeting with my advisor to see how the project is going. In general i have the idea to make the actual illustration heavily inked in black and white but have one object (probably her cape) in red on every page.

No comments: